Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Perfectly Inadequate

by: Charis

Some days, I'm doing pretty good, life is sweet, the birds are chirping, and the sky is full of sunshine as I drive to work - determined to show Christ's love to the world. I just can't seem to go wrong.

Other days, nothing seems to be right, my heart is heavy, and I hit the chirping bird on my drive through the snow and gloom on my way to a cubicle prison. I just can't seem to go right.

Inadequacy haunts me. I'm not merely convicted by my weakness, but drowning in self-pity for not being "more", "less", "enough", or "better". Days like these I just try to remember that I'm in good company as a sinner and failure:

Noah was a drunk,
Abraham was too old,
Isaac was a daydreamer,
Jacob was a liar,
Leah was ugly,
Joseph was abused,
Moses had a stuttering problem,
Gideon was afraid,
Sampson had long hair and was a womanizer,
Rahab was a prostitute,
Jeremiah and Timothy were too young,
David had an affair and was a murderer,
Elijah was suicidal,
Jonah ran from God,
Naomi was a widow,
Job went bankrupt,
John the Baptist ate bugs,
Peter denied Christ,
The Disciples fell asleep while praying,
Martha worried about everything,
The Samaritan woman was divorced (more than once),
Zaccheus was too small,
Timothy had an ulcer,
and.. Lazarus was dead.

No more excuses. We are all perfectly inadequate. Our limitations and failures become a joyful reminder of how dependent we truly are on our Father. God uses uses us in spite of and sometimes because our weaknesses create a steady dependence upon Him. Besides we aren't the message, we are just the messenger. Amen?
'Let your LIGHT so SHINE...'
Matt 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments - we love to hear from you!