Our daughter Julah Dawn Johnson was born on March 3, 2011 at 1:08pm weighing in at 6 lbs 5 oz and 19.5 inches long with a full head of blonde hair. Today the most amazing birthmother in the world signed the adoption papers. She’s officially ours!
Our “Journey to Julah” began on November 28, 2010 with an email from Candace, a birthmother looking for the perfect family to place her baby with. She was due on March 15th with a little girl. The same date that I would’ve been due if I hadn’t miscarried Shiloh Mercy.
We quickly became friends and texted and emailed constantly. The details of the adoption fell into place naturally and it seemed like God was knitting our families together. One month later, on December 28th, Duffy and I met Candace at her sonogram appointment and was able to see pictures of Julah for the very first time. It was amazing!
Candace was scheduled to be induced at 38 weeks, on March 3rd at 5am. We got to the hospital that morning around 10am, ready to settle down for a very long wait. When the “mean” nurse came to check Candace at 11:15am and said that she wasn’t dilated at all (which was strange considering the morning nurse said she was dilated to 4cm at 7am), Duffy left to pick us up some lunch. While we were eating lunch the Doctor called in to check on Candace, told the nurse she had to be wrong, and ordered her to check again. This time the “mean” nurse announced that she was dilated to 6cm and would have the baby within an hour. It was about 12:45.
Duffy and I went out to the car to get our cameras and by the time we’d gotten back inside the “mean” nurse had broken Candace’s water, she was dilated to 9cm, and was starting to push. Candace was so upset at how the nurse was treating her that she was hyperventilating and the Doctor rushed in and ordered her to wear an oxygen mask. At 12:55pm the Doctor said to let Candace rest for 15 minutes and then they would push again. The nurse let her push again only 5 minutes later and with one push the baby crowned - scaring us all. The nurse yelled for the Doctor to come, Duffy rushed out to the hallway to get the table with all the tools on it inside the room, and the room was instantly filled with people. The Doctor didn’t have time to readjust the bed, pull out the stirrups, or even put a gown on. He threw some gloves on, Candace pushed, and Julah arrived at 1:08pm (although the exact time is up for debate as Duffy swears she was born as his Mom was calling his phone at 1:06pm).
Julah looked stunned. She was blue and not crying, but I could see she was breathing and she was actively looking around and moving. The Doctor asked Duffy to cut the cord, and just before he did it, the nurse reminded me to take a picture. I was useless. I’d started crying when Julah crowned and hadn’t pulled myself together yet, or regained feeling in my legs.
After they moved Julah over to the cart to check her out and do her measurements, Candace looked at me and the first thing she said was, “Are you okay?” We all got a good laugh about that, then I asked her the same question back.
Julah Dawn is perfect, healthy, beautiful, and everything I’d dreamed about. She needs to be fed right now, so I’ll have to tell you the rest of the story later. And I promise - there are lots of pictures to come!
Saturday, March 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Congrats Charis and Duffy! You three sound like a WONDERFUL family! God has blessed you well. Love you friend! :-)
ReplyDeleteYeah!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations! What a journey the Lord has taken you all on to get to precious Miss Julah. Can't wait to hear more. So happy for this blessing!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! That is so exciting! God had a perfect plan for this sweet little girl and for your journey. It's amazing how it all unfolds and how He blesses us! Blessing on your sweet family!
ReplyDelete